The Thunder Knob
An overdrive built to inspire.
Designed for the people as a result of their comments, suggestions, and recommendations, The Thunder Knob picks up a few steps beyond where the Lightning Boy II pedal left off.
The Thunder Knob is a new design, which is a huge evolutionary step from its predecessor, the Lightning Boy II. The most significant advancement is the Thunder Knob is 9v DC powered. Everyone wanted us to make a 9v powered pedal, while still being high voltage inside. It took a bit for us to figure it out, but here it is! The Thunder Knob boosts 9v DC to 190v DC (+/- 10%) internally via our custom low noise DC to DC voltage booster. Any standard 9v pedal adapter will work if it can output at least 350mA of current.
A really cool new feature is the Thunder switch. This switch toggles between "Normal" which is a mellow tone and a mild degree of distortion (think early stage of break up from a tube amp) and "Thunder," which offers increased distortion, treble, and volume. Plus, when "Thunder" is engaged the Lightning Boy logo lights up!
The Thunder Knob offers very low noise, quiet true bypass switching, plenty of gain, and the inspiring Lightning Boy sound our fans have come to love.
- 12AX7 vacuum tube pedal. All-tube audio path - no transistors or IC's.
- NOS paper-in-oil capacitors in audio path for a bit of old school mojo.
- Hand wired point-to-point audio path - just like a vintage tube amp!
- One big knob for volume.
- Thunder switch toggles between two different modes of gain and tone.
- True bypass with quiet switching.
- Designed and assembled in the USA.
- Power Requirements: 9v DC @ 350mA (minimum current required) via standard 5.5mm barrel connector - center negative.
- Frequency Response
- (Thunder) Flat from 70Hz-9kHz. -3dB @ 24Hz & 14.6kHz
- (Normal) Flat from 70Hz-6kHz. -3dB @ 24Hz &12kHz
- Maximum Gain
- (Thunder): 40dB
- (Normal): 35dB
- THD+N measured with 30mV sine wave @ 1kHz
- (Thunder): 30%
- (Normal): 17.5%
- S/N: 75dB RMS A-weighted
- Input Impedance: 200k Ohms
- Output Impedance: 4.8k Ohms
- Operating temperature (case exterior, top side): Measured with an ambient temperature of 72.9°F / 22.8°C after the Thunder Knob has been powered on for precisely 1 hour.
- Maximum (hottest single point): 91.1°F / 33.4°C
- Average: 89.8°F / 32.1°C
- Weight: 13.4oz / 380g
- Dimensions: (length x width x height)
- 5.125" x 3.625" x 2.125"(with adhesive feet attached).
- Metric (mm): 130.175 x 92.075 x 53.975